Wednesday 17 April 2013

The Tale of a Paris Dance Studio and Playing With Light

 Yesterday, I painted a little version of this fellow, as part of a larger painting I'm currently working. As I painted, I noticed that, even though it's a tiny painting, if I didn't put the breaks on, I could go on perfecting it forever. There's just too much going on in that iridescence.

 I was particularly taken by this bit:
It has a happy kind of light peachiness. Not silly pink, but warm peach (although silly pink also, occasionally, has its place).

 So I did a little colour-study.
Then things all went a bit Rothko...although completely missing the point, as this is only a 5" x 7"...

Still, I was happy at the pay of light there and wondered how I could use it. Rob bought me this book as an early birthday present last week and I found in there a picture of a room of girls at the opera, practicing for Swan Lake in 1930:
...and you can see what happened after that...
 "Paris Dance Studio, 1933"

XXX

No comments:

Post a Comment